Quality check for Honey: Pure or Adulterated?
Honey is considered a healthy alternative to refined sugar but not all honey that you buy is as healthy as you think. It is essential to understand the difference between pure honey and adulterated honey.
In the recent past, there have been some speculations with regards to the quality of honey supplied by multiple brands in India. A Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) test was conducted at a lab in Germany to check honey purity. Thirteen brands were tested, out of which only three cleared the test. There were traces of adulteration found in honey sold by the remaining ten brands.
As we all know, honey has several medicinal properties because of which the consumption of it has increased during the COVID19 pandemic – In order to understand the benefits of honey, it is important to first ensure the quality. Although several brands claim to use real honey, there was no way to find out if this is actually true. Selling adulterated honey is a common practice and finding original honey is a big challenge in today’s world. Some varieties of adulteration include glucose solution, high fructose corn syrup, and many other ingredients that we are not aware of.
That being said, researchers have found ways to test honey quality.
So how do you check honey for purity?
- Try opening a jar of honey. If you hear the jar pop loudly, it means the honey is adulterated due to fermentation that might have taken place inside the jar
- Take a small drop of honey on your thumb. If it spills like any other liquid, then it is not real honey. Pure honey is thick and does not drip
- Take a glass of water. Add a teaspoon of honey in it. If the honey dissolves then it is fake. The thick texture of original honey usually settles at the bottom of the glass
- In a glass of water, add a teaspoon of vinegar and a few drops of honey. If the mixture starts to foam then the honey is adulterated
- Honey does not burn. In order to test the authenticity, take a matchstick. Dip it in honey and then light it. If the matchstick burns then the honey is fake
To do a quick test of honey quality, you can taste the honey. If it has a sweet aroma it then it is pure. Raw honey leaves you with a tingling feeling in your throat.
Fact check: As per a report in NDTV, it is recommended to look for terms like natural, organic, raw, or forest honey while buying it.
Honey Twigs ensures 100% purity. Have you tried it yet?
The flavourful honey is also available in pet glass jars and squeezy bottles that consume minimum storage space whilst making your dining space look beautiful. Check out the store and find the packaging which suits your consumption requirement the best.
The tear and drizzle packaging make it convenient to carry and store, as you don’t have to lug around a big jar or a fragile glass container anymore. This also means no messy requirement of spoons or exposing the entire jar of honey to air and moisture. Just pick out a twig or two, tear open and drizzle it on your favourite meal or mix it with a drink as needed and enjoy your sweet craving! This also means no more fear of accidentally spoiling honey or wondering how to store it under perfect conditions.
To store your bottle of honey fresh as day 1, follow the above-mentioned tips or grab yourself your favourite box of Honey Twigs that comes in single-serve packing and four different delicious flavours – the Himalayan Multiflora Honey, Vanilla-infused honey, Cinnamon-infused honey and Honey from lush Litchi flowers!
Leave a comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.